Definitions? Minimalist, Normal and OTTOP (Over the Top)

Discussion in 'Scrapbooking' started by rhondag, Jan 22, 2010.

1. rhondag

rhondag Stampin', Swappin' Bunny

Can anyone give an example (show or tell) of the middle of the road level of embellishments on a 2 page layout? What is Over the Top?....What is minimalist?

Since it is SO subjective...the more answers the better, KWIM?

(I'm working on a Scrapbook to auction for DD's school auction, so I want to know for sure that I'm not a minimalist to appeal to the widest variety of people.)

BIG thanks to anyone who sees this and answers!

2. lovetostampandscrap

lovetostampandscrap SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    Rhonda,

My upline does a Page of the Month club, and has also done 20 page scrapbooks (usually using a Simply Scrappin' Kit). Here's a link to her scrapbooking entries from her blog:

Stamp with Jeanne: Scrapbooking

I hope this gives you some ideas. I love Jeanne's pages!

3. GuarinoMom

GuarinoMom SU! Demonstrator

Wow - tough question. I will see if I can dig out some examples of pages I have done but I would say just a couple, maybe 2-3 depending on the layout, per page. It could also depend on the size of the scrapbook.....
    guess that isn't very helpful but it's all I can think of how to explain it :)

Jen

4. rhondag

Lovely blog and GREAT pages Cheryl!

Would you say your UL Jeanne is Normal edging toward OTTOP or just Normal? I'm afraid I'm too minimal (need to be boy or girl is holding me back-no swirlies or flowers)....May have to harrass my DL again :)

eta: I'll be away tomorrow for a church women's retreat, but I'll check back on Sunday afternoon...TIA for any more opinions and Thanks Jen!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  5. lovetostampandscrap

lovetostampandscrap SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    Rhonda,

I'd say you pegged Jeanne right - she likes to use various techniques on her cards/scrapbooks, and she loves to think out of the box and use a stamp set in different ways than what it was intended for.

6. catrules

catrules The Redneck Sista

Rhonda you have seen my pages, I too like to use stamp sets and embellishments different ways. Like using the top note die for a journaling block. Minimum at least an eyelet, brad and some ribbon.

Over the top to me is
    To jazz it up I like to stamp images and make my own pop ups. Add some sort of tech to the page too maybe, use the sizzix stuff too. More layers. Again using stuff outside of the box, like my hunting page I used jumbo eyelets for the bullet effect.

7. yapha

yapha Hop-Meister

Home Page:
    I consider myself pretty minimalist. Patterned background paper, pictures all matted, and maybe a couple embellishments.

8. scrapshappen

scrapshappen Super Moderator

9. MaryR

MaryR New Member

I think the dps Paula is doing is 'normal' - it has layers, borders, embellishments.

to me...
    Minimalist would be cardstock mats, stamped title on page or onto a mat, mats for the photos
    Normal would be mats with corner punches, borders with punches and layers, an embellishment or a few
    Over the Top would be 'technique' stamping, popped up stamped layers, sponging, multiple mats, layers of embellishments - an OTT scrapbook page would be heavy

10. rhondag

Thanks ladies!

I posted what I came up with in the gallery....Non SU! alpha and all....

I used the Scrapbook in a day (on the SU! website) 3 inch border to make the book look cohesive (I hope) and added different mats and journaling areas and embellishments. The ribbon across the top was not part of the layout given.

Critiques are welcome (here or on the actual photos-whatever is easier). I hope to have "average" pages...not minimal and not Over The Top...opinions? Small changes or additions?

- Stampin Addicts Gallery

11. MaryR

MaryR New Member

I think they look great and love the continuity - great job Rhonda - can't wait to hear about the auction

12. yapha

yapha Hop-Meister

Home Page:
    I love them! I think they are just perfect!