Journaling

Discussion in 'Scrapbooking' started by scrapshappen, Aug 17, 2009.

1. scrapshappen

scrapshappen Super Moderator

I've been asked to teach a scrapbook class, specifically on journaling. But it is one of my weaknesses. (I usually put the page away and think I will get back to the journaling someday and never do. )

Any suggestions on what to teach. We're suppose to do a 12x12 layout for a M&T and I'd like to base it around something that would be easy to journal about.

2. dmdezigns

dmdezigns SU! Demonstrator

I think Birthday parties are usually easy to journal about, cuz you can pick a story from the day.

Or, when I'm doing anniversary albums, I try to make the pages topical - then the journaling explains the relationship between the couple and the topic (ie - in my mom's - I did a page on car shows because they love car shows. So the journaling brought up the whole cruising experience they both grew up with and how car shows bring those memories to life for them - I listed some artists they liked back then and some of the activities that went along with those old muscle cars).

Or Vacation is always good - because you can tell a story from the vacation - or the journaling can just be the itinerary for the day that's pictured.

I tend to psych myself out and think I have to write a book, but in reality, some of the pages that I've done that have been the most loved have had a very short (sometimes only 2 or 3 sentences) paragraph on them.

Good Luck!

3. HowManyCats?!

HowManyCats?! SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    My old stand by is to use bullet points. Many of us are intimidated by 'writing' paragraphs but everyone can make a list . . .

I love you because . . .

My favorite things are . . .

When I grow up I want to . . .

Places we visited on our vacation . . .

My best friends are . . .

Really, the possibilities are almost endless and it is almost stress free.

4. Texasstampin

Texasstampin Keeper of "THE LIST"

Home Page:
    I had a really book book on journaling a couple of years ago. It changed the way I journal but I can't remember the name of it. I will try and find it and report back.

5. cindycanada

cindycanada SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    It could be a page for a Book of Me, where the person indicates her fave movie, book, vacation, etc.

Could be a Top Ten of things they love or things they want to do in the next ten years.

You could play on the Visa catchphrase and do a page with journaling like:

Convention registration: $200
    Plane ticket: $600
    Hotel: $350
    Seeing the catalogue before everybody else: Priceless​

This could be easily adapted to any kind of picture the person might have.

You could show them how to incorporate a quote or use song lyrics as journaling.

You could show them how to write journaling about an event the same way a journalist would.

You could use journaling like a case report, for an accident or something a kid got caught doing. You could create a mini folder and handwrite the "report" inside. You could even use the coffee ring stamp from the Sip by Sip set to add a coffee stain on the folder...

You could write the journaling from somebody else's point of view: the person photographed, a pet, a piece of furniture, your spouse, your kid...

Can you tell I love journaling? :D I have a few pictures in my album that do not seem particularly interesting on their own but that take on a whole new life when paired with good journaling.

I hope that helps!

6. MaryR

MaryR New Member

I think a journaling class is so cool! I've always wanted to do that with my customers - I think journaling is the key to scrapbooking - tell your story!

sometimes that story is told with the photo and you just need to add the date/place. other times the photo leads to the story.

sometimes stories are told from different perspectives - a letter to your child or journaling written from the child's voice.

cindy has a great list of so many different ways to approach journaling. for me, my cue to add journaling is when someone is looking at my pages and i want to lean over and say..." this is blah blah blah." or "i love this picture becaues...." then I know the page needs journaling.

here is a great article from ali edwards - the queen of telling your story aezine | life art newsletter | volume one | issue two

I don't do this - but I think a journal/a place to write notes about day to day events/things/places/funny stories/sad stories would be a great help for fabulous journaling. I still jot notes down on whatever scrap of paper and then throw it in my box of 'to scrapbook'

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  7. Roseolson

Roseolson SU! Demonstrator

I just got the new paper pack we have with the die cut journal boxes. All of my scrap bookers want them! (Good business tie in for sales.) A small box is less intimidating to write in first of all. Secondly, I really recommend they try to just take one picture, like of a child, and just write why that photo captures that person. I just write the words as if I was showing someone else the photo and what I would say aloud. It seems to help.

8. Pepesmom

Pepesmom Extreme Swapper!

Home Page:
    I always try to label at least who, what, where, when.

Depending on the subject matter, I also try to bring in the senses with my jounaling: what did the food or flowers smell like - and does the aroma remind you of anything else in your life (a new box of crayons always reminds me of back to school); sounds - waves can be soothing; texture...

One of my cookbook scrapbook pages is of Mom's pickled beet recipe. I journaled about the pungent smell of the pickling spices, the wonder flavor of home grown pickled beets, and how Mom and I would always listen for the "pop" of the lids as the jars sealed.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  9. Beedubya

Beedubya Shiny Squirrel!!!

Home Page:
    I'm pm-ing you Pahlua!

10. Pammybaby

Pammybaby Ozark Mountain Stamper

These are all fabulous ideas, ladies! Thanks for sharing them!

11. Stampin-Style

Stampin-Style New Member

the who, what, where, when usually works for me. I have verbal diahorea so journalling is no problem to me!! haha

12. Shadohart

Shadohart New Member

Home Page:
    You could give them this little tip:

Put a small notebook in your bag and carry it with you. Record your thoughts and feelings, funny things the kids say, stories you overheard, people you see during your day, lists are good too. Date your entries --- this does NOT have to be paragraphs or even full sentences.

This sounds time consuming, but you will find that you have lots of moments to write in your book --- standing in line at the checkout, at the stop sign, in car line at school, waiting at the bank. AND A moment is all takes to write something down.

This exercise will give you two things: First, you'll have begun the process of getting used to journalling and second --- you will have a treasure trove of journalling material when you do sit down to scrapbook.

The book doesn't have to be anything amazing. You can buy one at the dollar store, bind one with your BIA (if you have one) or staple a matchbook style book made with recycled materials (cereal box covers and the back of junk mail for paper). Personally, I use one of my Morgan's (quilted journal cover with little fat notebook inside)

However, you could also stitch together some archival quality paper and then make the little book a part of your scrapbook. You'd be amazed at how interesting and precious this will be for future generations! I know, I have one of my Mom's little notebooks and my daughter loves to look through it. Last time she did, she asked why Grandma had to buy bread every other day. *chuckle* THAT little question is in one of my own little books, right next to a sketch of a loaf of bread.