Printing Pictures

Discussion in 'Scrapbooking' started by IndyCrissy, Mar 3, 2009.

1. IndyCrissy

IndyCrissy Swappin' Fool

OK, so what do you guys do to print your pictures? do upload them to a website and have them printed, do you print them on a special printer?

I always use mpix, they are online and I usually get the order in a couple days. Shipping is like $5.95 but I always place a huge order, my last order was 200 pictures. Anyway, I notice a lot of layouts have different sizes of pictures, which is something I would like to do, but I can't plan ahead like that. all my pictures are usually 3.5 x 5.

Just curious as to what you use to see what my options are!

2. Texasstampin

Texasstampin Keeper of "THE LIST"

Home Page:
    I print the majority of my pictures at Sam's. I do a lot of outside, landscape photos and Sam's uses Fuji processing which is better for outdoor stuff. I do sometimes print my own. I use my Epson printer to print stuff at home when I need odd sizes.

3. MommyTris

MommyTris Long Live Dashing!

I use a variety of online retailers and Ritz camera. I am a sucker for the Crystal Archive paper, which I believe is Fuji. I too tend to have the same size picture. I think you really need to plan ahead in order to diverge from that, which I seldom do!

4. Miserma'am

Miserma'am SU! Demonstrator

I print at Wal-Mart, only because I'm not a member of Sam's and it is about 15 miles closer to my house! Sometimes I upload to their site from home & sometimes I take a disc in.

I *do* have an Epson "dura brite ultra" ink printer, but I still don't feel as "secure" about the longevity of those photos vs. developed/printed ones.

5. Texasstampin

Home Page:
    I've been investigating large format printers because of the new digital scrapbooking software that is coming out. Epson has a large format printer 1900 and the prints last 125 years. That's 75 years more than any typical developing now days. When I first started scrapbooking about 12 years ago the man at Wolfe camera told me it was useless because today's pictures at best will only last 50 years because there little silver emulsion used in processing anymore. I think I'm going to have to show this one to DH. It won't take much to convince him. Our Photo printer is about 3 years old, so he'll be ready for a new one and I want the large format for digi/hybird scrapping!

6. catrules

catrules The Redneck Sista

I use targets. I love the quality of the pictures. I use their Kodak one. Some times I download to the site and have them mailed or just wait until I get to target and get picture print happy!

7. tanya27

tanya27 SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    I've been using Walmart 1 hour for years now. The quality is good, and I can upload and order before I leave for town, and then have them ready to pick up when I am doen grocery shopping! Target has the same options, I just don't like the high gloss that they do for their 1 hour photos. I'm a matte girl, no fingerprints!

8. MaryR

MaryR New Member

matte for me, too and I'm really interested about your research Sharon - I've thought just as the wolf camera guy said, that our current photo processing isn't going to last as long, but didn't know for sure.

9. tanya27

tanya27 SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    Interesting info on the lifespan of current photos. Is that for photo lab pics too, or just home printed stuff?

10. Panda Express

Panda Express Swap Survivor

I use Costco or my own at home! I am a matte girl too!!

11. Texasstampin

Home Page:
    That was for lab photos or home printed.

12. Texasstampin

Home Page:
    I'm a Matte person too....I went and looked the the Epson printer today, it's pricey BUT they have a $150 rebate right now making it $299. Has 8 ink cartridges! WOW! Photos are beyond awesome on it though. The guy at the store said he wasn't sure if they were making matte paper for it so I'm off to see what I can find out. I know it won't be hard selling DH on this one, if it's for the computer all I have to do is say, "I think we need to look at _________ for the computer" and he's all over it like white on rice! LOL!

13. Texasstampin

Home Page:
    Ok girls...just investigated the matte paper options and they do have it for the R1900! I'm so excited. Here's the official blurb:
    * Flat matte surface provides the optimum photographic platform
    * Instant drying capability with EPSON Professional Inks allows for easy handling
    * High color gamut yields remarkable color reproduction
    * 1440 dpi printer compatibility ensures high resolution output
    * Heavyweight stock delivers true photographic feel (for roll paper printing)
    * Bright white base accentuates highlights

NEW! ICC Profiles Available Now

For photographers seeking a flat matte surface, Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte is the ideal choice. This bright white paper is perfect for images that do not require gloss. It yields highly saturated images, while maintaining excellent highlight and shadow detail. Designed primarily for use with UltraChrome™ Inks, EPSON Archival™ Inks, and DuraBrite™ Inks, this versatile paper can also be used with dye-based inks. Hobbyists, professional photographers and digital artists alike will find Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte a remarkable solution for any project.

cost: 50 sheets of 13x19 (so you can print a 12x12 or a panoramic picture) is $51.50. Honestly, not as bad as I was imagining!

14. IndyCrissy

IndyCrissy Swappin' Fool

Thanks for all the information Sharon! I'm not sure if I will purchase a printer for printing pictures or not. But it is defiantly something to look into!

15. tanya27

tanya27 SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    Wow, printing photos is expensive no matter what! Thanks for sharing all of your research Sharon! Good to know all this stuff, especially since SU is going to start selling digi scrapbooking software.

16. Sings with Scissors

Sings with Scissors New Member

I have a HP Wide format... its the one that retired before the existing one becuase I got it for a smoking deal. I am a preferred Canon shopper myself.. Had the least luck with Epson. My micro printer and desktop printer are both Canons and I wanted the CAnon wide format but at a cost difference of $400 I couldn't justify it at the time.

As far as my own printing, anything that I want in 4X6 I print at Costco... and then will print up to 12X12 on either my Canon or HP. I like being able to print pictures the size I want particuarly since my photography is predominately full frame no matter what the subject and not much to crop out of.

17. arimacias

arimacias New Member

i print all my pics as 4x6's at costco using the lustre finish.
    makes my life a little easier:)

18. Roseolson

Roseolson SU! Demonstrator

I use Kodak Gallery to play with my photos and then I can just pick them up at my local CVS for only $2.50 service fee. The colors and sizes have been good. I also like that my family can order their own copies so I don't pay for everyone photos and then never get paid back :)

19. zuziqu

zuziqu SU! Demonstrator

I print my own pictures exclusively. I have a HP printer, and I really love the photos I get from it. I use different sized photos in my layouts, so it is much simpler to crop the photos and get what I want in the size that I want right away. The crops I have visited in the past, I have always brought my laptop and printer, so I get what I want. I am not to worried about the life of the pictures - the kids can always print them again and put the new picture on top of the old one.

Sue B

20. SunnyGirl

SunnyGirl SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    I use the HP A626 which prints 5x7 and smaller photos. Recently, I was working on a project that kept me confined by 8 1/2 x 11 paper for scrapbook pages. With my small photo printer I was able to print a lot of 2x2 and wallet size photos for my pages. The ability to print the smaller photos had me hooked on using my photo printer for probably 80% of my printing needs relating to my scrapbooking.

Otherwise, I use Adorama for the majority of my photography printing needs.