Quick & Easy Demonstration

Discussion in 'Scrapbooking' started by Lois Friend, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Lois Friend

Lois Friend SU! Demonstrator

I need some suggestions please. I have been a SU demo for almost 2 years and the majority of my business is based on cardmaking. I have a regular monthly club but I always focus on cardmaking. Later this month I have been asked to participate at a crop and the organizer would like for me to do a demonstration or quick scrapbooking tip. Does someone have a suggestion of something I can present to this group of croppers that won't be too expensive, fairly easy and quick to demonstrate and not let them see that I am almost clueless when it comes to scrapbooking. Most of these girls own Cricuts so I don't think anything done with my Big Shot will impress them. Thank you for any help you can offer.

2. chadsgirl48

chadsgirl48 New Member

Home Page:
    You might introduce stamping to them by using a one sheet wonder and showing them how many pages they can create accents for just by using one sheet of paper.
    You could always demo a 6x6 layout that you create using stamps, dsp, and cardstock. I always had compliments on the 6x6 layouts. Those also take less time to create than a 12x12layout so they might find that to be a time saver too!

3. MaryR

MaryR New Member

You could also create a title bar or strip using our alphabets - quick, easy, inexpensive and stamping. Add a small tag or other stamped embellie to dress it up

4. Roseolson

Roseolson SU! Demonstrator

Look at all the photos of the boards at convention being shown for some good simple ideas. I too have mostly scrap friends and when they see all the cards I make with our stamps they don't translate the stamps into use on their pages. I have printed out a bunch of the photos to get some ideas flowing for them.

How about using stamps and ink to make custom background paper. Our new medallion stamp is perfect and unlike anything you'd get with a cricut. Having papers in "just the right colors" is a common scrap booking issue and they'll "eat up" anything cool that they could get in the exact colors they need.

5. kricki

kricki SU! Demonstrator

I have to agree with ROSEOLSON. Show them how to make pattern paper with stamps. You can point out that by custom making their own pattern paper they don't have to keep going to the store in search of finding pattern paper to match their pictures. Also Stampin UP carries plain and textured paper to match the ink colors so there is no problem finding paper to co-ordinate for matings and embellishment.

You could show a tone on tone effect by stamping for example rich razzleberry on rich razzleberry paper, stamp multiple colors on WW and use a wheel. This would give a variety to show them and not take too long. Maybe make sample pages ahead of time to display using the pattern paper you will be demoing.
    I hope this goes good for you!!!

6. scrapshappen

scrapshappen Super Moderator

I would also suggest showing them stamping on the background sheet or using a wheel to make your own printed paper. Basically what Rose and kricki said.

7. Debadoo

Debadoo Active Member

I 3rd, or is it 4th the idea of bg papers. Also the stencils are great for making bg's for a large layout. I saw Shelli use versamark refill on a dauber, daubed over the stencil, the used clear EP on a piece of choc chip 12 x 12. Gorgeous. It looked so elegant.

The other thing I love is showing them how to make their own embellishments. Tons of things you can do with the punches. These aren't always quick though, but some are. Why buy a sticker of a BBQ grill for your summer cookout page when you can make one. Make a baby buggy for a baby page. I imagine if you typed in punch, you could find examples of a lot of stuff in the gallery.

8. latenightstamper

latenightstamper SU! Demonstrator

Here are my latest works of heart

latenitestampinwithsherill.blogspot.com/ Clip and paste link please
    these are the cards and scrapbook page I will be teaching in Las Vegas this week.
    Sherrill Graff

9. CORSAI57

CORSAI57 SU! Demonstrator

It was difffercult for me at first to branch into scrapbooking but now it just as easy as card making. I always demo a 6 by 6 page using a wheel and a small accent, to add to the page such as a flower using the 5 petal flower, small circle and brad, then add a little ribbon and you have demo a lot of products. I would also make ahead the rest of the page showing how you can move it from 6-6 to 8.5-11 and 12-12 so that what ever size they scrapbook they can see a sample.
    Works like a charm everytime.
    This 6-6page is for the hostess is giving to the hostess as a hostess perk

10. cindycanada

cindycanada SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    The girls all have really good advice for you. Do you have the Extreme Elements stamp set? It is a great one to demo on a scrapbook page because it is different from other set, almost foolproof and you can just layer any stamps from the set to create a unique background. (See example here: Rock Star Wannabe)

Don't let scrapbooking intimidate you. Just think of it as a big card: the picture is your main stamped image, the title is your sentiment and you embellish just like you would a card.

I think the new Sweet Pea felt embellishments with matching papers are another great accent to show. They are beautiful and definitely something a scrapbooker would love, I would think!

As for the format, I would recommend going for either a 6 x 6 or a 8½ x 8½ page so you don't feel overwhelmed and you can keep your costs to a minimum. You can cut those two formats out of your regular 8½ x 11 cardstock, which is another plus.

Another tip that might help: search for scrapbook sketches online. They will help you put together a layout more quickly.

11. rhondag

rhondag Stampin', Swappin' Bunny

Cindy I really needed to hear your...."It's just a big card" advice... Thank you!

12. it'smeFaith

it'smeFaith SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    I think to show paper embossing with the Big Shot and showing how just a strip of it can really add eye appeal to the page. There is so much you can do with Designer Papers, embossing even our punch outs and what others have said about making our own stamped papers, etc...

Faith

13. heidi33

heidi33 New Member

They have said it all, I just wanted to add that you could give them sort of a handbook of the things you lectured. They would be very appreciative to have it and I think it doesn't have to be long and narrative, just a simple guide for them so they could try it at home.goodluck!

14. cindycanada

cindycanada SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    You're very welcome! I've noticed that presenting it that way to customers and even downline members have helped them get over their initial fear of scrapbooking. :smile: