Retired supplies, catalogs, etc.

Discussion in 'General Product Discussions' started by escape2stamp, Dec 28, 2012.

1. escape2stamp

escape2stamp SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    I'm overly blessed in the craft room and really want to get rid of some things. Just curious:

What have you found to be the best way to sell older retired supplies? If you sell them, how much do you usually mark them down?

I have kept one of each catalog since I started. Is this silly? Should I just keep the last two and dump the rest?

What do you do with swap card fronts? I am ready to start bundling them up and giving them away as door prizes. Would it be better to put them in our clear envelopes and let the winner choose 5 (8?) of her liking?

Magazines - I have a couple year's worth of Paper Crafts. Love the magazine, but I have to admit I usually bump around on-line when I'm looking for ideas. I don't want to donate them at my local library. (A meanie SU! Demo does classes there; I'd rather give them to someone nice.) Just let my customers have at them?

I have a stamp-a-stack scheduled at the end of January. I was thinking of marking everything down to garage sale prices (cheap!) and putting it out on this day. (Except for the catalogs, obviously.) It's scheduled after my regular classes and after my club meeting so it shouldn't hurt hostesses or my sales.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2012
  2. WebDeb

WebDeb SU! Demonstrator

Home Page:
    "Overly blessed" LOL!! I am the same way with my waistline!

I sell my retired items at half price at two big, all-day stamping events in the spring and fall. Does it hurt my sales? I don't see it. Some people pretty much only buy the retired things (budget issues) and others buy anything they like, whether new or old. It's still money to me; if I want to earn a commission on the sales of retired stuff, I spend the money on new product!

I have the same catalog collection. Why get rid of the old ones? It's history! Would you get rid of old photos just because the children have grown? Come on!!!

When I have excess mini cats, I ask my stampers to give them away for me.

I would bundle up the swap cards and give them away to your stampers who earn them -- but not for sales. How about if they bring a newbie to stamp? Bring a card for RMH? Comment on a blog post?

I'm pretty ruthless with **most** old magazines, especially since Pinterest. The awful truth is that I have a file folder of decorating ideas that are 30 years old. Clipped recipes? Sheesh. So my current habit is to scan and save anything I think I "need" and recycle the rest of the magazine.